Have a Fin-Tastic National Aquarium and Zoo MonthJune 23, 2021
June is National Aquarium and Zoo Month. The U.S. has annually observed this holiday, since its proclamation by President Ronal Reagan in 1982. Why is National Aquarium and Zoo Month Important? National Aquarium and Zoo Month raises awareness about wildlife and ecosystem conservation. Furthermore, resources (i.e., ticket purchases, donations, sponsorships) accrued by zoos and aquariums are incredibly significant—they go towards benefitting biodiversity, habitats, and natural life. Give back to our planet this month by visiting the National Aquarium and Maryland Zoo—two great destinations not too far from your home at Liberty Harbor East. Not only are they entertaining, but your visit will work towards a greater cause; donations and purchases benefit the environment, earth, and oceans. Baltimore’s Aquarium is the National Aquarium The National Aquarium in Baltimore is a nonprofit organization that strives to promote integrity, innovation, service, excellence, and engagement. In 1981, the Aquarium opened to the public, striving to raise awareness for aquatic conservation efforts. During its first year, the Aquarium was struggling. They relentlessly sought to attain funds and capital. Thankfully, the National Aquarium Society was founded in 1982. The Aquarium remains open today, with its stunning exhibits and marvelous marine life. Now, the National Aquarium is home to over 20,000 animals. For over three decades, the National Aquarium in Baltimore has combated climate change, rescued/rehabilitated sea life, and educated young scholars. Be part of the change and visit the National Aquarium in Baltimore, where you can enjoy these fun-filled events: Carp-e Diem! Starting in June, the National Aquarium is hosting various special events, which are a perfect excuse to celebrate National Aquarium Month. Notably, the Aquarium is hosting Half-Price Friday Nights. For $19.95/person, visitors can stroll through award-winning displays and exhibits. Tickets may be purchased by clicking here. To the Gills and Beyond The National Aquarium’s exhibits are stunning; take the opportunity to witness all of their displays and aquatic life. At Liberty Harbor East we particularly recommend the following exhibits:
- Australia: Wild Extremes is, arguably, one of the Aquarium’s most popular attractions. Patrons will walk through a replica of an Australian gorge and watch crocodiles, snakes, turtles, fish, and birds. There are over 1,000 animals in this exhibit alone.
- Jellies Invasion: Patrons will be mesmerized by the striking colors, fluid movements, and liveliness of nine species of jellyfish.
- Upland Tropical Rainforest: Take the opportunity to travel to South America, whilst staying right here in Baltimore. Witness a biodiverse habitat that is, unfortunately, extremely affected by climate change and environmental destruction. Come observe the two-toed sloths, golden lion tamarin, poisonous dart frogs, and more.
- Penguin Feeding. Travel to the Penguin Coast and witness the African penguins being fed their daily fish.
- Sip and Stroll. On Thursday, June 24th, the Zoo is hosting their Sip and Stroll from 5:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. For $65/person, stroll through the Maryland Zoo whilst sipping beer and/or wine. You can also enjoy a meal from Triple J’s food truck. (This is included in the ticket purchase price.) Whilst doing so, you will learn more about the nutrition and dietary needs of the zoo animals.
- Do Yoga at the Zoo. For $25/person, attain balance and equilibrium alongside the animals. This is a 60-minute guided Vinyasa yoga class perfect for all skill levels.